At ChilOut, our mission is to promote the rights of children seeking asylum and advocate for policy and law reform that sufficiently protects the rights of these vulnerable children.
ChilOut implements its aims by:
• Monitoring and gathering information on immigration detention facilities, including through visiting detention centres where children are held,
• Conducting research into the conditions and treatment of children who come to Australia seeking asylum,
• Publishing reports, making submissions and providing accurate information on what is happening inside immigration detention facilities,
• Campaigning to improve the situation of children who come to Australia as asylum seekers, including through collaboration with like-minded groups,
• Raising awareness among politicians, the media and wider community about the hardships faced by children seeking asylum and the consequences of holding children in detention for prolonged periods of time,
• Promoting the rights of children seeking asylum and advocating for policy and law reform that sufficiently protects the rights of these vulnerable children and;
• Conveying accurate and balanced information about the situation to media, politicians and the wider community.